Cut-Off Shorts DIY

I don't know what's up with shorts right now, but every time I look at them in the store I can't help but think "I have underwear that cover more than these." I'm more curious by the fact that I don't have much of a butt, and I still feel exposed. It must be hard otherwise.

But Champ and I were headed to Florida this past weekend for a wedding and I can't very well wear my cuffed "cropped" skinny jeans and pretend they are summer clothes to be worn at the beach. Which meant I was in need of shorts.

So! While going through clothes being sent to Goodwill I found two pairs of jeans that fit fine, but I wasn't going to wear again. One were a pair of wide leg jeans (I was making an attempt to relive middle school I guess) and the other a pair of bootcut jeans (old? I have no idea?). So what do I do with them? Make shorts I can actually wear.

I borrowed a DIY from a new blog I'm reading CandyPow and started working. The wide leg jeans got cut short, in a tiny shorts kind of way. They aren't as bad as the ones at the store, but definitely have the "short" thing going on.


The second pair I wanted longer, especially since the fit was snugger, so I've got sort of a bermuda thing going on with the cut. Definitely like.


I measured both by putting them on, grabbing a sharpie and marking them on my legs (used a ruler to make sure the mark was mostly even) and then cut them across. The cut wound up being at a little of an angle, but I mostly followed the natural line of how the "straight while on" turned into "slight angle" once I laid them out on the floor.

I'm okay with them being frayed, but since I want them to last the summer I wound up hemming the edges (an excuse to start playing with my sewing machine!) just to keep the fraying under control.

See? Easy. I honestly have NEVER done this before. I was pretty pleased with the way they came out and super pleased that I remembered a lot of the basic sewing. (And threading the machine made sense even if I did follow the instructions.) Apparently I learned something from Mom all those years ago.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment